Skip to main content

A poem by Edward Hirsch

To Poetry

Don’t desert me
just because I stayed up last night
watching The Lost Weekend.
I know I’ve spent too much timepraising your naked body to strangers
and gossiping about lovers you betrayed.
I’ve stalked you in foreign citiesand followed your far-flung movements,
pretending I could describe you.
Forgive me for getting jacked on coffeeand obsessing over your features
year after jittery year.
I’m sorry for handing you a lineand typing you on a screen,
but don’t let me suffer in silence.
Does anyone still invoke the Muse,string a wooden lyre for Apollo,
or try to saddle up Pegasus?
Winged horse, heavenly god or goddess,
indifferent entity, secret code, stored magic,
pleasance and half wonder, hell,
I have loved you my entire lifewithout even knowing what you are
or how—please help me—to find you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm more rational today

 just a combination of many things, social media, no free speech, after all the time I've spent, Phil's diagnosis, my fight for justice inching on 30 years of fighting, and seeing no light at the end of tunnel, thinking I'm doing it all myself, and can't get a simple reply of encouragement. plus I do everything to access, and getting burnt out so often, they made fun of me about that too, when so many people are like me.  you think you got me figured out, think again! I've decided to stay on my blog, and keep Messenger, and the internet, but no social media posts anymore, but I haven't deleted any account.