Skip to main content

Libraries (an essay by Sheri)

Image result for libraries images

When I was a kid, and my mom working until 5 p.m., I'd walk down Main Street from school and spend quite a bit of time at the library, it was warm, it always smelled like antiquity, and I would look for some of the books that my 5th grade teacher read to us out loud every day just after lunch and recess.  I got to know all the authors, and I would start reading certain books, but I would never finish them.  I also liked to look at the maps in the library, and certain kids magazines attracted me to explore more of the world than my small town.

Image result for libraries images

In college, the library was where you met people.  I believe it was on the 2nd floor of the Main library in Iowa City, row after row of tables and chairs, and I believe I studied a little bit, but would wander around talking with anyone.  On the 5th floor of this same library, there was a glass enclosed smoking lounge, and I would sometimes skip class to sit in there, smoking and reading Herman Hesse.  I also liked to see the thesis' they have I believe on the 3rd floor, just to know what kind of work is being put out through this school.

Image result for libraries images

Every Saturday, just before I left to go work a wedding at The Abbey, I would take my kids into the town library, and my daughter and I would read out loud together, it's one of the main ways she learned how to read, and I was excited when I found The Encyclopedia Brown series, and during the week, we'd go through nearly all in the series.  My son learned to love going up to the library since he could pick out all the movies he wanted to borrow.  Even now, we still go together to see a performer, a speaker, or a concert.

Image result for libraries images

Job prospects were few in this area, so I went to the library for hours on end to research the best place to move to for jobs, health care, entertainment, crime, I compared and contrasted so many different cities, and I did this, not through a computer, but through books, pamphlets, periodicals, journals.  By the way, the number one city to move to in that year, was San Antonio.  I never did make it though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica