Skip to main content

An Interview with Albert Einstein (a creative essay)

An Interview with Albert Einstein
by Sheri Grutz


Mr. Einstein, you have lived and traveled all over the world, why did you decide to become a resident of the United States?

War. Europe was divided. But you must remember there were not too many Jews in colleges in America when I was lecturing and teaching, all the while I did my part to save over a thousand Jewish scientists souls in Germany, I did feel like an outsider here, but felt the Americans were the most cheerful and positive force to make my stay.

Talk about your faith for a moment. You've said you consider yourself an agnostic, is that still true?

I was wrong about that.

One of the few times you've been wrong?

I've been wrong many times. I've nearly failed out of colleges on many occasions in certain subjects. I've been on panels with philosophers who have put me to shame.

What is the greatest award you ever received?

Too many to name. But at one point, you must understand, I wanted to just live my life, consult with others, even did so with the president, and I did not want to be honored or giving so many lectures and speeches. I appreciate all of it, but truly it got to be too much.

In your personal life, you have a son with schizophrenia. Tell us how that impacted you.

The illness has come a long way. At the time, we did not have solid ways of treating it, so my son was intstitutionalized. The greatest thing happened while he was there, he taught himself to play piano. He was a great young man, and lifted the spirits of those around him.

Speaking of which, you taught yourself to play the violin, is that right?

I took lessons at a young age, but was turned off. I picked up again in my late teens, yes, I was a dedicated learner. I've often thought if I hadn't excelled in mathematics, I would have been a musician.

Coming back today, you make no bones about the fact that you want peace and justice for the Palestinians. How do you think that should happen?

Plurocratic governments have pitted brother against brother of their faiths and lands, and I think it is about time to lay down the weapons and give the Palestinians their sovereign state. It would be much better to have peace police, look, we're talking about religion, there should be no killing there at all.

Hmm. Many of us would like to know if your wife collaborated on certain papers you've done. Is it true or not?

Absolutely not. She was a learned woman, by no means, but the computation just wasn't there. I'm afraid I influenced her to try to be more like me, which happens often in relationships, many times in child/parent relationships, but the only main thing she did was the typing.

You've been honored by the African American community for your views on racism, saying it's the ugliest thing about society. What are your thoughts on White Supremacy today?

Any color, creed, race, disability, sex or religion can use his or her brain and ability to benefit society, it's just a matter of growing, nuturing, find your niche. It seems that White Supremacy is based loosely of non-thinking set of principles that don't add up in the end to a true picture of human beings.

You will forever be known for E=mc squared, is that okay with you?

Yes, I was a very young man with that formula, and probably did my best work in my 20's and 30's. The encouragement I got in academia and being able to pursue my studies at my own pace really set the rest of my life for exploring more and more.

So it's good to know all the answers?

I don't have all the answers, but you can prove your theories, and then become known for them.

Do you think there will ever be another Albert Einstein the way we know of you today?

Certainly, there's already many of them. The engineering degree and mathematics is still one of the hardest and best to get. I'm thrilled when young girls say their favorite subject is math.

Do you think you've taught us all how to use our brains to the fullest?


I hope so. But sometimes it's as easy as putting two and two together. It's been a century of great discovery. I wouldn't have wanted to live in another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica