Skip to main content

The first part of Helium, by Sheri


1.


The doll’s baby breath in her hand

was bubbles. I laid her out to dry.

The yard was jelly. Right there


was a train track. We never slowed

down. I was younger in the

summer than winter. I was never


late. The doll had many names

but one set of clothes. I called

her my own until the future was


the voice of God in a tin can and

the sun was the yellow string.

I saw more deaf people than Down


syndrome. I think I may have heard

I’d always be on my knees. I used

to stroke your skin and smile and


babble to you in the stores. Now

you love the stores. You were

my backward baby with clothes


inside out wearing a winter coat

on a hot spring day. You are the

unteachable kind that only repeats.


I had a doll but it didn’t teach me

much. You wouldn’t sit still and

then you wouldn’t sleep and then


you wouldn’t eat. I worried you’d

get hurt or wander away. You like

colored lights. You like movies.


You like spaghetti. You don’t know

which shoe goes on which foot.

You walk carefree.


We have no social pact with others.

There is no editing. There is never

a certainty circling the day like a bird.


The doll was only half way through

my childhood winding around the

seasons with that yellow string. You


are all the way through my adulthood

and tied to me like truth. The motion

in the air is fallen hearts in place


of leaves. You don’t turn with the

the times. You swing in the backyard.

Mine was everyone’s.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica