Skip to main content

Mercedes gets a gift (a young adult flash fiction story)


Mercedes gets a gift

Mercedes took the dog out, and noticed a big package set on their front step, close to the house, as if it was a step up to reach the rafters. But no, it was a reach down this time, move and go inside. But Mercedes couldn't lift the box, so she asked her brother to come and help her, but he said, Can't do it, you'll have to open it out here. It was noon, and the sun had warmed the box, and Mercedes laid her hands upon it, looking it over, seeing if she could topple it. All she saw was her own name printed on top....it was actually to her, and it wasn't even her birthday, or Christmas, what could it be?

“Where are the scissors?” she asked her brother.

“In the knitting box,” he told her.

She found them, and ran out to cut open the box. She stood with the sun on her shoulders and back, leaning down to cut down the middle. She unfolded the box, and out flew a hundred different butterflies, all sizes and colors, stringing this way and that, taking off and out of sight, nearly knocking Mercedes down to the ground. When they had flown, and she had seen them on their way, she looked deeper into the box, and there was a slab of concrete, cement, some kind of piece of sidewalk. On top of it, it read: “This is your platform.”

She could barely lift it, but she did, and when she took it out of the box, underneath was crushed, dried flowers, petals and stems. She gathered some of them up in her hands and then blew them out into the yard. They landed like whispers in perked up grass blades, they landed like the only thing missing from her eyes, they landed like the next best kiss she'd had since Dan.

“What is that,” her brother asked upon coming out to investigate.

“It says, This is your platform. It's a rock,” she told him. “It flattened the flowers, but not the butterflies, it nearly flattened my toes, but not my fingers. Don't you see, it's a stepping stone.”

“A stepping stone, huh? Well only if you're standing on one foot.”

“I will stand on one foot, ballerina into the wind.”

“Why don't you be an ostrich, a pelican, a pink flamingo?”

“Maybe I will. The platform it means, is balance. That is my platform. I think I will paint my toes, then paint the rock, out here in a painted sky where the butterflies fly.”

“You know like the rock that you can't move, right? How you going to do that?”

“I know I can still myself, make the ground go quiet, and the trees stop moving. I know I can. And when I grow still, I know what it means...it means someone still loves me.”

“Like who? If it's who I think it is, he makes your knees shake.”

“No, not at all. But my hands might shake.”

“If that's your platform, you should go straight to a nunnery.”

“Are you kidding?”

“I'm not kidding....stand on one leg and be poised as the 8 ball all night.”

“That's how you win. That's how to be pressed like the flowers, and set free as the butterflies,
and fit tight in the box hand delivered. I will make a stand. And you will see, it will be to the center of me.”

“Then it was a good gift. Just leave me out of it, I'm going to get chocolate milk.”

“Fine. I'll be rising like a weathervane, pointed like a star, staying like a flag.”

“You platform, huh?”

“Yes, my platform. I'm moved, but not removed.”


Mercedes moved the rock to the front by the bushes, and nestled it down deep in the dirt. She took one step, that was all she needed. One step in the right direction. One step to higher ground. One step to find her silence. And it went on for an hour. She knew what it was meant for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica