Skip to main content

Virginia Woolf's Non Acceptance Letter (a creative essay)

Virginia Woolf's Non Acceptance Letter


Dear Trustees:

I received your letter addressed to me with lines “....of utmost respect,” “...it would be a real honor,”
with the invitation to give this year's Commencement address to Smith college graduates. It really is quite a great offer, something that came out of the blue, and left me feeling truly accomplished.

With that in mind, I had to ponder the entirety of my life, and with it, you must understand why I will not be able to fulfill this wish you have presented me. You see, I was home schooled, and I later watched my brothers go off to Cambridge, something that I was not privvy too. I have never been to university to pursue formal studies, and yet I've had strong women teach me the Greek mythology, Classics, and international literature. It would not be right for me to give a speech to graduates considering I was woman who knew ultimately it is a Man's World.

Still, the thought is tempting, and will be inticing in some of my circles, that an all women's college would carry on the tradition we have pursued in liberating women. I have personally never had a female editor, and rarely a reviewer of my works. I should like your graduating class to know that we are making great progress in getting the right to vote, getting into the workplace, yes, having our own money, and a room of one's own to write.

You seem to have hinted around that among the graduates would be another Virginia Woolf, and that did make me smile, to think I may have inspired a young woman to follow in my footsteps. Another reason that I should have to decline your offer, is these terrible nerves of mine, and now doing physical things instead of mental, it would be next to impossible to write a speech, let alone give one.

I don't want you to think that I'm not for the “intellectual” obviously I've built my life upon it, but that I am not a graduate and I had to learn my way at home through those educated friends of my brothers, and not within classrooms. I did never know my own potential in that way, and can't say, even after all my writing, that my achievements are many.

In closing, I'd just like to thank you again for thinking of me with this invitation. It does make me proud to be considered for such a noble role, and I do hope the person who fills it, will have a better story to tell.

Sincerely Yours,

Virginia Woolf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica