Skip to main content

The Pillars...a brief play

The Pillars

a brief play

(stage with walls of an office, back wall with door wide open in front of the opening of the curtain.  Any kind of office decor.  A man who looks to be about 35 years old is wearing nice attire sitting in one of two chairs in front of a desk where another man, 60 years old is facing him.  There is something on his desk of a ladder.  Also, a glass covered picture of the structure and setting of the building of the business is shown somewhere on stage.  They have met, made small talk, and get into the interview.)

INTERVIEWER
These doors have pillars.

APPLICANT
I didn't see any, but nice landscaping.

INTERVIEWER
They're made though, the pillars.

APPLICANT
Well, if you're into raising, I'll take a good starting salary.

INTERVIEWER
I'm still talking about entry level.

APPLICANT
I've been known to take the back door.

INTERVIEWER
That's where people keep all their baggage.  So you think you'll get there, or what?

APPLICANT
I'll go straight up.

INTERVIEWER
What does integrity mean to you?

APPLICANT
I suppose it means always telling the truth.

INTERVIEWER
So you're good with your words?

APPLICANT
Well, I still talk to myself, and that's a truth.

INTERVIEWER
Preparing?  Hashing it out?  I bet this isn't a dress rehearsal.

APPLICANT
Does that mean you want me to start immediately, I'm parked in Visitors Parking.

INTERVIEWER
I think you are mistaking pillars.  You just said telling the truth, but that's honesty.

APPLICANT
He WAS pretty tall, wasn't he, Abe?

INTERVIEWER
They're not for holding up a glass ceiling here, we might get golf-ball sized hail.

APPLICANT
Maybe cuz nobody was praising Him.

INTERVIEWER
That was going to be my next question, What does trust mean to you?

APPLICANT
That the building won't fall down?

INTERVIEWER
We accept them with screws loose.

APPLICANT
Nah, I think I know the drill.

INTERVIEWER
Do you like to stay out of the way, or get involved?

APPLICANT
I think you'll find I'm a skilled worker.

INTERVIEWER
Hard work.  That's another pillar.

APPLICANT
Well, you said these were made, so I guess you're looking for a self-made man.

INTERVIEWER
Kind of.  I think of it as a work in progress.  It took a long time to get here.

APPLICANT
Is there a contract with this place?

INTERVIEWER
Don't you understand?  Nothing is in writing, you can have the best resume and still be bad.

APPLICANT
Maybe I built myself up on a slippery slope.

INTERVIEWER
Ever paid a sliding scale?

APPLICANT
I've been covered too, you know, from any storm that's come my way.

INTERVIEWER
How much space do you need, because we've recently added another subset to a pillar.  Privacy.  It goes along with respect.

APPLICANT
Sure I have boundaries, and I don't like to be crossed.

INTERVIEWER
What would happen?

APPLICANT
Might get a foul.  Mouth, that is.

INTERVIEWER
I thought that was only for people a person feels comfortable with.

APPLICANT
Actually I tend to fit in, following footsteps.

INTERVIEWER
Are they big shoes?

APPLICANT
You mean my dad?

INTERVIEWER
Yes.

APPLICANT
I looked more like my dad when I was a baby.

INTERVIEWER
That may be another pillar we want to see.  Maturity.

APPLICANT
Nah, I'm told they can't guess my age.

INTERVIEWER.
Well, we've been in business for 24 years, and next year we're planning a quarter of the century name change.  But don't worry, we won't ask you to crawl.

APPLICANT
Does that mean I have the job?  I could show you a pillar I've always had.  Thankfulness.

INTERVIEWER
That's why this interview is in person.  Always the way it should be.

APPLICANT
Great!  When can I start?

INTERVIEWER
Wait, you didn't even hustle me!

APPLICANT
Nah, it'd be totally different if your pillars were rafters, with big winnings.

INTERVIEWER
But I do think you should just try it out.  It might take you some time to prove these pillars.

APPLICANT
I'll take a shot!

INTERVIEWER
This Friday come in for orientation at 10 in the morning, know the rules, learn about overtime, and meet the team.  In the meantime, it gives you a chance to practice up. 

APPLICANT
Yes, yes.  I've always been a big fan of yours before joining.

INTERVIEWER
And don't forget, we're looking for a new name change.  Nothing behind the back either.

APPLICANT
Got it.  Personally I'd never change my name.  Ryan Whitaker nails it.

INTERVIEWER
How so?

APPLICANT
My wife's name's Whitney.  I'll be ready on Friday.  (he gets up from chair, and reaches over to shake hands)

INTERVIEWER
(he stands behind desk) It's only elbow bumps now, the game has really changed.

 APPLICANT
(smiles, and does elbow bump, walks toward door)  Don't worry.  I know the open door.

INTERVIEWER
Good luck, Ryan.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica