Skip to main content

The Antenna People (a brief sketch)

The Antenna People

-for Robert Stanton

by Sheri Grutz

2 young men sit in cushiony chairs in the living room. They each have helmets on with antennas sticking out of them, and glasses on.

No. 1
I'm being interrupted by Bayer aspirin, it's causing head pain.

No. 2
What station are you on?

No. 1
Fox News. They're interviewing me on conspiracy theories....I'm thinking
about the song, Hit Man.

No. 2
Are you broadcasting that song to them?

No. 1
Yes, but I don't have it memorized, and I don't have the video.

No. 2
I'm on CNN with Bill Clinton's birthday, and I'm playing Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.
They are tapping their hands.

No. 1
Why do you want to be there?

No. 2
It's all I can get right now. The local guys want me to do the weather report, I got that thought out of my head.

No. 1
I'm going to take this head set off and go clean slate for awhile. (he takes off the gear, and walks off stage)

Enter another young man wearing a helmet with antennas on it, take off his glasses.

No. 3
It's no good...I can't translate German, and I keep thinking of George Trakl, and they tell me I'm getting off topic.

No. 2
Maybe you need to wait til you're sleeping, and do the overnight show with all the other callers.

No. 3
I can't handle the broadcaster telling me I have backward thinking.

No. 2
Maybe you need to meditate.

No. 3
They also say I keep repeating myself, and thinking I'm right every time.

No. 2
Yeah, I got into a fight with MSNBC yesterday because they said I wasn't responding directly,
and thought maybe I should use speech.

No. 3
Speech?

No. 2
It was okay because a new idea came in, and they started agreeing with me.

Enter another young man, with one high antenna, and one broken one, takes off the glasses.

No. 4
Help! My antenna is broken, it's constant static inside my head.

No. 3
Here, let's get tin foil. (he helps press on the foil to the same length of other antenna) How about now?

No. 4
Whoah, I'm getting cloud movement, geez, I'm getting dizzy. (he sits down)

No. 3
It's best to do your question and answer session on a bright sunny day.

No. 4
Oh wow, now I'm moving with the moon! At least I think, unless it's a space ship.

No. 3
Turn it off, man, you don't want to pick up any viruses.

He takes head set off, and leans back, and sighs deep.

No. 4
Yeah, I was hacked last week by some preacher guy wanting money.

No. 3
He must have sensed how much this is all worth. They went to type with my thoughts, no more hearing me.

No. 4
Why they'd do that?

No. 3
They said I was too poetic, and took in another target. I'm getting angry.

No. 4
Don't do it, you know what happens.

No. 3
I can't help it, this should be up to me, it's my broadcast! (pop, lights out briefly, when lights back on, smoke in the air)

No. 4
You just did it. You blew a fuse.

No. 3
My electricity can be rebooted. I just need to take a nap.

No. 4
Speaking of which...I need a good charge.

No. 3
What are you going to use?

No. 4
The massage chair. The vibrations, you know. (he walks over to chair, sits down and turns it on)

Target No. 2 who has been silently deep in his thoughts, speaks up.

No. 2
I'm getting mad at this interviewer calling me a Sex Pistol.

No. 4
We know where your thoughts are.

No. 2
Simple human nature.

No. 4
They want second nature.

(No. 2 squints his eyes, and pounds the chair) (pop, lights out briefly, when they come back on, smoke on the stage)

No. 3
You did it too, you blew a fuse.

No. 2
I need a break anyway, this is a terrible way to get paid.

No. 4
Are you sure you don't mean to get laid?

No. 2
What and lose my privileges?

No. 3, Rick was right, I am so sick of these commercials, my God! (pop, lights out briefly, when they come back on, smoke on the stage)

No. 4
Well, well, now we're all in the same boat. Let that sink in.

No. 2
I wanna go shoot hoops. Let's get Ricky.

No. 4
I'm with ya.

No. 3
All those commercials are subliminal, and my brain is trained to resist.

No. 4
I know, I know.

No. 2
Rick, let's go!

Young man comes walking out slowly from side stage.

No. 1
Did we get enough time in today?

No. 2
Doing time with the mass media.

No. 4
It beats custodial work.

No. 2
You got that right.

One young man picks up the basketball, and all 3 of them walk out the back center door of stage.
Lights slowly go dim. The end.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica