Skip to main content

This is Only a Test (a brief sketch)

This is Only a Test (a brief sketch)

by Sheri Grutz

Lights up on small, messy living room apartment, books everywhere, a fan, and on the couch sits Chris, with various objects on the coffee table in front of him. Enter Jake from side stage.


JAKE
What are you doing?

CHRIS
I'm making water rise. I took rocks out of the landscaping.

JAKE
What for?

CHRIS
When it gets to room temperature, my finger in it will turn red.

JAKE
And that's proof, huh?

CHRIS
Just my own little experiment. I am my own light, just gotta bring it out.

JAKE
What about this here? (he points to things on the coffee table)

CHRIS
The periwinkle will turn into a star when I told this in my hand with the red finger.

JAKE
Another experiment.

CHRIS
We're dealing with space here, right, planets and stars and satellites, you know, deep space.

JAKE
We could use some space in here.

CHRIS
It will turn into a star right before your eyes with this fan blowing on it.

JAKE
Then what?

CHRIS
I prove space weapons exist.
When I'm done with this, I'm going to magnify the dust in the apartment.

JAKE
That should be an easy one. This place is a mess.

CHRIS
It's mainly on the books, but who ever said anything about turning the page.

JAKE
Certainly not you.

CHRIS
I want to tell if we are dealing with life here, or there. Dust settles, but it comes from the air.

JAKE
You might find dust mites. One of the oldest living creatures.

CHRIS
This is really all new though, the intersection between outer space and earth.
(pause) I'm also going to suck on some pennies, then nickels, and I'm pretty sure when I do, my hair will get all staticky, and stand on end.
Because of the properties hitting my blood stream, they might even bubble in my mouth.

JAKE
You know, don't go overboard with this stuff. You're no scientist.

CHRIS
The best ones experimented on themselves. I have to get proof somehow.
I've also found, when dealing with head pain, open the windows. That's why I get it so bad in the winter, the air needs to come in.

JAKE
I thought you told me the air is too dry.

CHRIS
It is. That's why I stop washing my hair in winter. Unless to stop the frequency. (pause) You know, Jake, I really want to test my blood too.

JAKE
Oh no.

CHRIS
For foreign matter, chemicals, you know, space.

JAKE
Maybe let the labs handle that.

CHRIS
I'm surprised we're not all lead poisoned.

JAKE
Well, I hope you are recording all of this in some little black book.

CHRIS
Sure am. I'll so each experiment over and over, and also try to get pictures.

JAKE
And then what?

CHRIS
I take it to a lawyer.

JAKE
I guess they've always said, you've got to have proof.

CHRIS
Think of this, outer space coursing through my body, is it too far out there.

JAKE
It's out there, alright.
I'm going to my room to play guitar awhile. Good luck.

CHRIS
Wait, Jake, you know how we're taking heavy metals out of the water with our water filter?

JAKE
Yes.

CHRIS
I want to test my urine too.

JAKE
I'm pretty sure your kidneys filter all that.

CHRIS
Not effectively though.
I'm thinking if I add the right particle, the urine will turn green.

JAKE
You're a Space Cowboy, aren't ya?

CHRIS
Well, the fact that we can stay alive with this stuff...it's amazing.

JAKE
Carry on, Chris. And I hope for good discoveries.

CHRIS
Thanks, man. I've got nothing better to do today. Remember, the sky starts at the ground.

JAKE
You've already tried that too, grounding yourself.

CHRIS
Might try it again, with a heavy leaded vest on.

JAKE
It's worth a try.

CHRIS
Everything. Everything is worth a try.

JAKE
Yep. You never know til you try. (he walks off stage)

Chris continues to stare at his water filled with rocks, and he tests the outside of the glass for it's temperature. He does not look up. Lights out. The end.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica