Skip to main content

The Sunshine Cult (a brief sketch)

The Sunshine Cult

by Sheri Grutz

Lights up on a tropical stage setting. Frank sits at a table putting a model ship together. Enter first young man.

FRANK: Let me guess, you were out with Sunshine.

Yes. We went swimming. I turned my back and she was gone with some other guy.

Why do you let her get away with that?

She's the brightest I've ever found.

Sure, and now you're seeing red.

I'm hoping her cloudy days are coming.

He sits down on the couch. Enter next young man who is even redder than the first man

Oh, no, not you too.

Yep, I went out bicycling with Sunshine. She wouldn't get off my back.

You didn't have to bare all to her.

We rode and rode for hours, until she really turned up the heat, and I lost her at the horizon, because she never goes horizontal.

So you sweated it out, huh?

I'm kind of hoping she keeps her distance.

She'll be back.

He sits on the couch. Enter next young man even redder than the first two men

This is getting pretty sad....Sunshine again?

We went to an outdoor concert. She wanted to dance.

All she does it cast shadows over you guys.

She's the only one though who's got flare.

Don't stare into her, unless you want to be blinded by the light.

I can't see her staight anyway, she makes the highest mark in my book.

He sits down on the couch. All 3 men look like they are in pain. Older friend stands beside them.

I'll tell you guys what, here's what you've got to do. Just start planning all your activities at night.

She helps things grow though, I'm quite fond of her.

Yeah, and she lifts my moods.

And she really gets close to me, it's so amazing.

Well, if you plan activities for the nighttime, you won't get burned.

I don't think she'd go for that, man, she'd be peering through the windows.

Yeah, and she'd be laying out in the yard.

And she would spark my interest all over again.

Alright then, you guys gotta put your screens on.

But that's always makes me cry.

I always sweat it off.

It doesn't work anyway.

Hmm, then you'll just have to cover up. Don't let her get to you.

She'll think I've got something up my sleeve.

She'll think it's the only thing that fits.

She'll think I don't trust her.

My, my, how can all 3 of you be going out with Sunshine?

I've known her since I was a kid. She lived on my block.

She lived on my block too.

And mine.

It sounds like you guys really need her. So maybe just sit in the shade. (pause)

That's it! That's what I'll do. I'll be with her, but sitting in the shade.

I guess I could give it a try, but what happens when she starts to move the way she does?

Yeah, and what happens when she goes under?

I guess you just move with her. You know, the days are getting shorter. She really won't be as strong as she once was.

Did I tell you about all the times she's beamed me?

Yes. Yes. I know.

Did I tell you about the blisters she gave me from working
on the relationship?

Yes. Yes. I know.

Did I tell you about the glare she put on and nearly crashed my heart?

Yes. Yes. I know.

But we're going to try the shade. It might work.

The shade, yep.

You guys are as red as the stop signs....shouldn't that tell you something, you know, Stop. Stop what you are doing.

I'd stop everything for her though.

I'd jump through her flaming hoops.

I'd take the heat like raw meat.

Well, tonight I'm making stuffed red peppers, so you'll know what else she's done to the garden.

Perfect. I want maters too.

Alright.

And radishes.

Okay.

Thanks for caring though, Frank.

Sure. I think I've known about this Sunshine around here.

One of a kind.

Nothing like her.

My ball and chain.

First I'll go get you guys the Aloe. (Frank walks off stage)

Did he mean Aloha?

What do you think, a great vacation with Sunshine?

Couldn't ask for anything better.

The 3 young men look up at the ceiling, or lean back and relax. Lights out. The end.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T.I. John Finch wanted me to send this out to you, he's an incredible activist, and this reading is real good for insomnia, please save it to your files, if you can

john Finch   < noorwelliannaziism@gmail.com > 7:58 PM (55 minutes ago) to bcc:  me EMERGENCY – SATELLITE TECHNOLOGY BEING USED TO TRACK, MONITOR, TORTURE & KILL satellitetorture@gmail.com Satellite technology, presumably developed and controlled by the U.S. government, is being used to track, monitor, torture and kill people all over the world.  The satellite operators establish an invisible microwave connection with peoples’ brains, providing constant tracking and silent surveillance.  They can hear what we hear, see what we see and even read our thoughts - total surveillance of anyone, anywhere in the world.  This technology is infinitely more frightening and Orwellian than NSA data collection.  Unfortunately, illegal surveillance is not the most serious issue.  This technology can also be used as a remote, untraceable torture instrument and lethal weapon.  By interacting with the brain, the operators can transmit inexplica